Saturday, August 8, 2009

And the Winner of the Kimock Stone Pony Tickets Is...

David Farrell, from Millington, New Jersey!

Here, David relates the twist of fate that led him to connect with his musical heroes:

"I was standing outside the Mexacali Blues Cafe [in Teaneck, NJ] at a Kimock/Porter/Seals show. Steve and John were outside discussing the setlist. I overheard a guy say to his friend, in a very heavy Staten Island accent: "That's him; that's the guy! These guys are direct decendants of Jerry Garcia. Hey, Steve, how you doin'?" Everybody started cracking up, including Steve. It was hysterical. My buds and I still laugh about it.

It was a great moment for me to see Kimock and Melvin at Mexacali. I am a big fan of Melvin Seals. I actually have a vintage B3. I was standing about three feet away from Melvin, and could see him pulling the drawbars and flipping tabs. At the end of the show, he got up to walk off stage and I reached out my hand to shake his. He looked right at me and said, "Yeah, alright,"and reached out and shook my hand. I'm a big guy with big hands, but his hands are huge. For me, it was like getting kissed by Elvis."

Thank you to all who participated in the contest.

Have fun at the Stone Pony on August 14, David!


No comments: